T20 World Cup memories, forgotten goals and indoor mountain biking | Classic YouTube
1) The first round of the T20 World Cup is currently in session in the United Arab Emirates and Oman. Treat yourself to the official anthem here. What’s the moment that shows off T20 played at its apex? Carlos Brathwaite, of course, hitting four sixes to win the 2016 final for West Indies, with that superb, howling Ian Bishop commentary at the death. England had their moment in 2010, beating Australia in Bridgetown, with Craig Kieswetter and Ryan Sidebottom starring. Some classic moments? How about Stuart Broad getting the Gary Sobers-Malcolm Nash treatment off Yuvraj Singh in 2007? Or the 2009 final, when Mohammed Amir set Sri Lanka off to a start they never recovered from by taking a wicket for the loss of a single run in the opening over at Lord’s? Or Virat Kohli doing Virat Kohli things in the 2016 final with an unbeaten 82?
2) The NFL season is in full swing, more than enough excuse to enjoy the genius of Walter “Sweetness” Payton who, from the mid-1970s to the mid-1980s, reimagined what was possible in the game. Here’s a little doc about him, here’s a longer piece, here’s one on his heart and here’s one on his magical 1977 and the greatest season ever put in by a running back.
3) To Cleveland and the world’s longest indoor mountain bike trail.
4) We all love a forgotten goal, so here are a few: Jimmy Greenhoff for Stoke against Birmingham in December 1974; Peter King for Cardiff against Middlesbrough in October 1970; Ronald Koeman playing rugby league for Barcelona against Trabzonspor in October 1990; Bryan Robson for West Brom against Liverpool in February 1981; and Gerhard Hoppe for Carl Zeiss Jena against Dinamo Tblisi in the 1981 Cup Winners’ Cup final.
5) On this day in 1964, Ethiopia’s Abebe Bikila became the first man to retain the Olympic marathon gold. Here he is winning barefoot in 1960 and here he is, following a car accident, competing at archery in the 1970 Stoke Mandeville Wheelchair Games.
6) Chloë McCardel achieves her dream of crossing the Channel more times than anyone else.
7) Weymouth v Yeovil Town, a place in the FA Cup first round at stake. And a penalty shoot-out, with one tremendous highlight, before the visitors’ triumph.
1) The best of the wheels coming off in Supercars racing.
2) Amateur golfers will enjoy this highlights reel of the top pros making a hash of the 2020 Masters.
3) Dan Marino, perhaps the greatest quarterback of the 1980s, never won a Super Bowl. Here’s what left him empty-handed.
4) Go on then, another viewing of Mario Balotelli being unable to put his bib on before a Manchester City game.
5) The Indianapolis Colts catch out the Baltimore Ravens with a classic fake.
Spotter’s badges: whobroughtoranges, germit.