Seoul boxing memories, Serie A’s heyday and the great Sally Gunnell | Classic YouTube
1) The Olympic boxing is in full swing, so let’s have a look back to the memorable 1988 edition. Here’s the great Roy Jones Jr losing his gold medal fight to Park Si-hun in a robbery so outrageous that he considered quitting the game and here’s Park explaining the impact of the verdict on his life; here’s Lennox Lewis fighting Riddick Bowe in the super-heavyweight gold medal match and here are the two of them exchanging words in the ring immediately after Bowe beat Evander Holyfield to become undisputed champion of the world; here’s Chun Jin-Chil mistaking the bell in another ring for the bell in his, when his opponent, Todd Foster did not, and here’s the consequent rematch.
2) Maradona, Platini, Zico, Falcão, Rummenigge, Elkjær, Socrates, Boniek – rarely, if ever, has a league boasted as many of the world’s best players as Serie A did in 1984-85. Just look at them!
3) Over the weekend, Peter Wright beat the defending champion, Dmitri van den Bergh, to win darts’ World Matchplay competition, after which the two shared an emotional moment on stage. In the semi-final, Van den Bergh had danced his way to the oche as he usually does, only for Gerwyn Price, his opponent, to mock him after nailing a finish; naturally, when Van den Bergh progressed, he has some thoughts to share on the subject.
4) Until his bad back got in the way, Mike Atherton bowled a bit of leg spin – here are his two Test wickets. The first came at Headingley in 1996 and saw him trap Wasim Akram lbw, making it the sixth time opposing captains had dismissed each other – earlier in the match, Wasim had persuaded him to edge behind. Wasim was involved in similar at Karachi in 1997 when Courtney Walsh got him for a duck, then he returned the compliment by cartwheeling off stump. In total, it’s now happened 12 times, most recently when West Indies came to Southampton after lockdown and Jason Holder nicked off Ben Stokes, then Stokes had Holder caught in the deep, then Holder nicked Stokes off a second time.
5) On this day in 1948, the London Olympics began. Here’s the opening ceremony and flame-lighting.
6) On this day in 1966, Sally Gunnell was born. Here she is winning Olympic gold in 1992, here’s her post-race interview and here she is in 1993 winning world championship gold and breaking the world record in the process.
Spotters’ badges: germit, GrahamClayton